Video Games Truly A Cause For Violent Children

Posted on May 5 2014 - 12:30pm by Christopher

Video Games Truly A Cause For Violent Children

Video games have also gotten a finger pointed at them when violent things happen with kids; they believe that because of video games being violent it influences kids with their actions and I really don’t believe that’s true.
Not only is it because I play video games myself, but it’s because I’m proof of this being wrong; I played video games throughout my whole childhood and even played mature rated games at a young age. I’m not violent and aggressive; I’ve actually never been in a fight all my life.

What makes kids aggressive and violent from any influence of media is the parents fault, they need to teach their kids what’s right and what’s wrong; let them play these games but make it clear that it’s fictional and nothing should be copied in real life. I think it’s wrong we blame violent media as an excuse for bad parenting; be a part of what your children do and all should be fine.

WordPress Author Box

Christopher is the founding father of Double Aardvark Media. He’s the type of guy who enjoys anything that’d be considered nerdy or geeky and isn’t afraid to state his honest opinion.

Like us on Facebook
on Facebook

Follow @@DoubleAardvarks on Twitter
Add me on Google+
on Google+

31 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Robin (Masshole Mommy) May 5, 2014 at 12:39 pm - Reply

As a mom, I see the kinds of things my kids want to play and they are very influential as far as their behavior goes.

2. Amanda Ripsam May 5, 2014 at 1:51 pm - Reply

I totally agree, It’s the bad parenting that let’s the kids who are to young to play these voliet video games which are ment for 18 and up I’ve seen ten year olds place and I’m like wth? pardon the language but the games have a rating for a reason and good parenting would look at these ratings and make informed choices in what they allow their kids to play or not play. By the tiem teh kid is old enough to play games rated teen they best know the difference from right or wrong by that age other wise it’s simple neglect on the parents part .good post.

3. Touristmeetstraveler May 5, 2014 at 2:28 pm - Reply

I agree with you, it’s the parents fault that allow these kids to play games that they’re not ready to understand.

4. I think the parents have a lot to do with it, you’re right. But I’ve also seen some of the games and have been shocked at their content.

5. Amanda @ Erickson & Co. May 5, 2014 at 4:34 pm - Reply

I think a lot of kids do get violent from playing violent video games. Until children mature mentally, they do not have the capability (usually) to distinguish between fact and fiction.

6. Rosey May 5, 2014 at 4:40 pm - Reply

I’m completely unsure of the link between video games and violence BUT I do know I don’t want my kiddos having violent images in their heads. So I monitor what they’re allowed to play. When they’re grown they can get the ones with a rating not for children if they want (and my older two sons who are grown do). As long as they’re home, nuh uh. That’s just my opinion though, I know not everyone agrees, including my husband who thinks I’m overprotective. And so be it. ;)

7. Pam May 5, 2014 at 4:45 pm - Reply

We did not let our kids play or watch violent things, but for a different reason- they would get horrible nightmares and night terrors.

8. Triplezmom May 5, 2014 at 6:27 pm - Reply

I think there’s a difference between a game where you shoot at invading space aliens and a game like Grand Theft Auto. They’re both technically violent, but one is way more likely to cause anti-social behavior.

9. Amy Desrosierss May 5, 2014 at 8:09 pm - Reply

I agree somewhat, but not every kid is the same. Some are easily able to distinguish reality vs games, and others not so much. As a teacher I saw some kids totally consumed, and obsessed. I have 2 girls and they dont play them. I do enjoy some Call of Duty myself though.

10. Amber Edwards May 5, 2014 at 8:45 pm - Reply

I think it is a combination of both video games and parenting. BOTH play a role. I don’t agree with your assessment that video games aren’t at fault. But I can’t place all the blame on video games either. it is a combination. I think they do play a part. It can desensitize kids to violence. And certain kids are more susceptible to the violence and minimizing behavior than others. SO video games are the sole reason; but they do influence.

11. Tough Cookie Mommy May 5, 2014 at 8:50 pm - Reply

I don’t really censor my boys when it comes to playing violent video games. I just make it clear that they understand that the games are not real and that what happens in the video games is not real life.

12. Theresa May 5, 2014 at 10:12 pm - Reply

I grew up kicking butt in Mortal Combat and games like that. While I did not grow up to be a violent person, I do not approve of some of the games for younger children nowadays. COD and Grand Theft Auto are 2 my nephew plays and it really ticks me off when I go to his house and my girls are exposed to those games when he plays around them.

13. Grandma Bonnie May 5, 2014 at 10:28 pm - Reply

A child’s behavior is influenced greatly by their parents teaching. I do feel violent video games may have some sort of influence on children whose parents are not able to spend enough time with their children to influence them in a good way.

14. lawna May 5, 2014 at 10:49 pm - Reply

I totally agree with you! It’s all about good parenting and bad parenting, not the video games themselves!

15. Jennifer Williams May 5, 2014 at 11:01 pm - Reply

I know my son plays different games, he has some that are just fun, clean games and he is fine after. He plays one game that has fighting that his brother sometimes leaves in his reach and after he is beating everything and everyone up. We do tell him that it is not okay but the games teach him it is so we keep them away as much as possible because of it. I am not saying it will make him violent as an adult, but it certainly does affect his behavior a lot.

16. mommy2jam May 6, 2014 at 12:27 am - Reply

I think it has to do with the parent and how their lack of supervision plays a role

17. Aisha Kristine Chong May 6, 2014 at 6:45 am - Reply

Video games always tend to influence the ones playing it.

18. Pam May 6, 2014 at 7:41 am - Reply

Everything in moderation, including video games. I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of time one child is allowed to obsess with some of these games and not encouraging other activities along with them.

19. Megan @ C'mon Get Crafty May 6, 2014 at 8:06 am - Reply

I grew up on video games (though more of the girly, Super Mario kind with an occasional Street Fighter), and I’m married to a gamer man.(He’ll scream at the TV, but he’s a teddy bear in reality.) I would have to agree in general, and say that ANY activity that is a sole focus without outside influences and diverse interests is going to cause problems. People seem to focus on the console type games over computer games, since computer games tend to be labeled more as “nerdy”, but there are a LOT of things kids can pick up that way too. Everything in moderation, and for goodness sake, get outside as well! :)

20. Alice Chase May 6, 2014 at 8:54 am - Reply

We don’t really play a lot of video games but when we do we do our best to be aware of the game ratings. I do believe what we see affects how we perceive the world.

21. Liz Mays May 6, 2014 at 10:41 am - Reply

My son played video games all through childhood and it hasn’t affected him at all. However, if a child has violent tendencies, I could totally see that it would prompt more of them.

22. Rachee May 6, 2014 at 12:20 pm - Reply

I work with the public and think this is a conversation for all who work with children. We need to step in to help guide our kids to make the best choices.

23. Melanie May 6, 2014 at 1:07 pm - Reply

It’s the parents job to choose the games I wish more parents would really select games better for their kids. There’s rating on them too, not many pay attention to it these days it seems

24. Annie May 6, 2014 at 3:53 pm - Reply

I played violent video games, watched Ren & Stimpy, etc. & I turned out just fine. I think it’s up to parenting to teach kids to not act aggressive.

25. Toni May 6, 2014 at 9:22 pm - Reply

Video games are no joke. We always made sure to tell them any game they played was pretend and they should never, in life, go around acting like it was any other way.

26. Dawn May 7, 2014 at 12:52 am - Reply

I think it depends on the kid. Some kids are really influenced by video games and then some play and move on.

27. Amanda H. May 7, 2014 at 7:40 am - Reply

I am definitely not a fan of violent games for kids. My husband is a gamer, and I don’t even like when he plays while my son is still awake.

28. Marni | Love and Duck Fat May 7, 2014 at 9:25 am - Reply

Many parents don’t see just how bad exposure to violence is–they get all uptight about nudity and profanity but have no problem with shooting and killing. There’s something very wrong with that mentality.

29. Ashley Gill May 7, 2014 at 2:57 pm - Reply

I have a hard time letting my children play violent games. My husband doesn’t even think twice about it though.

30. Amanda Love May 7, 2014 at 7:56 pm - Reply

I’m so with you on that. I remember my sons were very young when they started playing GTA. They do know it’s wrong to steal cars because you can go to jail in the game but you can also go to jail in real life. People just need to stop blaming everyone for their bad decisions.

31. Le-an Lacaba May 9, 2014 at 8:09 pm - Reply

We studied the effects of video violence the other day. And the violence in it isn’t the cause of psychological problems in kids. It’s mostly the influence of the parents if they’re guiding them correctly. But sometimes it does depend on the game.

Leave A Response